The "Great Adventure" Bible Study
Session 8 – Desert Wanderings
1. Review Numbers 1-2. What did God have Moses do before setting out for Canaan? Why was one tribe exempt from the process?
2. Review Numbers 11. What does Israel’s failure to pass God’s test say about their relationship with Him?
3. Despite what they know of God and have been promised, Israel fails to trust in Him. What do all of these setbacks in their story tell us about the nature of sin and its punishment?
4. Moses and Aaron are prohibited from leading Israel into the Promised Land. Does this seem like a harsh punishment? Why do you think they received such discipline?
5. Review the things that Balaam says about Israel in Numbers 22-24. How do you explain the magnitude of God’s blessing following their continual grumbling and lack of faith?
New Testament Connection: Read Matthew 4:1-4. Jesus rebuffs Satan using Moses words from Deuteronomy 8:3. What parallels do you see between these stories?
Application: Read Catechism Nos. 1897-1900. Have you or anyone you know ever questioned the Church’s authority? What problems do you see in today’s society that echo the challenges Moses faced from Miriam and Aaron, or Korah, Dathan, and Abiram?