The "Great Adventure" Bible Study
Session 21 - The Church - Part 1
Acts 1:1 -8:4
1. Review Acts 1:1-8. Also read Matthew 28:16-20, Mark 16:14-18, Luke 24:13-49, John 20:19-23, and John 21:15-19. Based on the things that Jesus said to his apostles, what seems to have been the chief purpose or desire before his ascension?
2. Review Acts 2:1-42 and Genesis 11:1-9. (Read also Catechism Nos. 761, and 767-768). What parallels are there between these two events, and what is their significance? Why did God send the Holy Spirit?
3. Review Acts 2:42-47 and 4:32-34. Describe the early Christian community. Then read Catechism No. 765. What do you learn about the visible church? What seeds of this visible structure can you see? (note especially Acts 1:12-26 and 6:1-7)
4. Review Acts 6:1-7, and also read 1 Timothy 3:8-13. Why were deacons needed, and what kind of people were they to be?
5. Review Acts 8:1-3. What effect did Stephen’s witness and death have on Saul?
Application: Stephen is the first New Testament example of someone who looked at Jesus’ actions and faced death without fear. Are there things in our world that cause you fear? Is your faith challenged? can you find anything in these chapters to strengthen you so that you can proclaim the truth without fear?